Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-September-2006, 00:57
Screamager

DefaultUnlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub 2700hgv **Upgrade at your own risk**

• **Warning** Flashing newer versions of the BT Business Hub (2wire 2700HGV) with the sbc recovery_425 firmware mentioned in this thread, will cause the router to stop working. No procedure to restore operation is known at this time.

These newer Hubs can be easily identified as they have two SSIDs printed underneath the router, both beginning with 'BT'.

Carrying out any of the upgrades to the hub mentioned in the following pages, is done at your own risk.

The Scream! and contributors, hold no responsibility if something goes wrong.

Hi dudes and dudettes!!. I have searched this forum and not found a single trace of what I have posted here - this router is *such* a bonus for anyone needing a decent wifi signal, that no broadband hardware forum would be complete without it!.

Firstly an introduction: BT give this lovely lil router away with new BT BUSINESS BROADBAND connections/migrations, but it is supplied (and sometimes AT A COST!), crippled in two ways.

Firstly, the router has the inbuilt capability to transmit a wifi signal at up to SEVEN times that of a normal wifi router. But being the UK, the firmware flashed into it for BT, disables this marvellous feature, and you are stuck with a bog standard wifi signal level .

Secondly, BT has made it near impossible for anyone to use this beautiful piece of hardware, on any ADSL service apart from their own. Indeed, it has been rumoured that it becomes locked to ONE broadband account only, never mind moving ISP!!!.

Anyways - I found this lovely ripped firmware (from SBC some american ISP - AT&T?!?!) and what this does, is allow you to unlock the router AND it allows you to raise the wifi output power to 400mW!!!. I have tested this and have got a decent connection, through woods and trees, at the end of my road - save to say that this is fast becoming a far more attractive router as I speak!.

Here are the config pages which you are going to need, in order to access the page for firmware updating, AND also the page for setting the wifi output power level. I thank you!.

All about the router ---> http://www.2wire.com/?p=8

Once you have the router, goto this page to flash it ---> /tech/upgrade.html

And, for all the g33ks amongst us, here is the detailed config page ---> and YEAH the manufacturer *HAS* spelt "management" incorrectly, but trust me that is the correct URL!!

Finally but MOST imporantly, here is the NEW unlocked firmware, which you upload in order to flash the router with it's new super-powers . This is a ZIPPED file, so for goodness sake UNZIP it so that you are left with a folder containing a file named "recovery_425.2sp". This is the file you wanna flash the 2700HGV with!

Please, if you can, upload/host/mirror this file as it is not readily available online. http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8deet

Another good deed, successfully done! yay!!

Last edited by JohnnyReb51; 14-May-2007 at 14:54. Reason: Added revised warning message.

Tags
2wire, broadband, bt, bt business hub, connection, dhcp, dns, email, firmware, flash, hgv, home, hub, internet, key, lights, lock, orange, phone, registration, router, screen, settings, share, software, sound, speed, speedtester, tiscali, voip, web, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeSwitch to Linear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeThreaded Mode