Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24-August-2012, 23:15
Screamer

DefaultRe: [NEW] Orange "Bright Box" router hacking :-)

I don't have one..... yet

I'd get it as part of the Orange deal, though it's a commitment I don't want to make if it doesn't do what I need. Hmmmm I might buy one on eBay first :/

If you stumble across the answer, please let me know.

Thanks anyway.
Old 25-August-2012, 00:00
Screamager

I don't have one..... yet

I'd get it as part of the Orange deal, though it's a commitment I don't want to make if it doesn't do what I need. Hmmmm I might buy one on eBay first :/

If you stumble across the answer, please let me know.

Thanks anyway.
Originally Posted by Admin0389 View Post
I'll sell you a new one for £25 + shipping... less than Orange! ;-)
Old 27-August-2012, 20:52
Screamer

Hi all,

I was wondering how would I go about setting up a dual router.

Basically, What I planning on doing was, having a router up stairs for great wireless speed/coverage.

But when you move downstairs the speed and connection coverage drops to around 2 bars from 5.

I successfully, used to routers and had working internet on both using:

NetGear DGN1000 [LAN PORT] to Orange Brightbox [WAN PORT] using RJ45 cable the only downside is that the netgear was getting very hot and giving slow surfing speed.

So I packed away the Netgear and got my other bright-box that orange sent out of the blue o.O

I did the same connect as before but it dosn't seem to want to work, I confused on so many levels.

I have tried:
  • WAN to WAN - Ethernet
  • LAN to WAN - Ethernet
  • Changing broadband type to Ethernet - Didn't change anything

Another thing is PingTest results

For some reason I get these types of results everytime;

But when I play games which display ping and connect to teamspeak servers in the uk I get 22-26ping on most uk based servers.

If anyone knows the problem and has a solution, it would be great.

note using BT Openreach or Master Socket - Using a master socket extension kit from downstairs to upstairs.

My Connection Information:
  • Broadband Type: ADSL2
  • Broadband State: Connected
  • Internet State: Connected
  • Time Connected: 21:27:14
  • Downstream Rate: 16667kbps
  • Upstream Rate: 2444kbps
  • IP: 2.29.***.**

Any notes or tips would be great..

Thanks in advanced.

Aaron.
Old 28-August-2012, 19:39
Screamager

Hi all,

I was wondering how would I go about setting up a dual router.

[...]

Snip

Any notes or tips would be great..

Thanks in advanced.

Aaron.
Originally Posted by tempzz View Post

Hi Aaron

Okay, do the following:

1/ Set Main Bright Box wireless channel to 11
2/ Set Slave Bright Box wireless channel to 9
3/ Ensure SSIDs and wireless security (passwords) are identical for both
4/ Give the SLAVE (repeater) Bright Box a STATIC IP in the same sub-net as the master (for example, 192.168.1.10) and then turn OFF DHCP on the SLAVE.
5/ Link them with an ethernet cable, and reboot.

Here is a picture of the DHCP config page:

I hope this works for you; this picture is of the SLAVE config:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: BBslave.PNG Views: 989 Size: 49.4 KB ID: 2348  
Old 28-August-2012, 19:56
Screamer

Hi Aaron

Okay, do the following:

1/ Set Main Bright Box wireless channel to 11
2/ Set Slave Bright Box wireless channel to 9
4/ Give the SLAVE (repeater) Bright Box a STATIC IP in the same sub-net as the master (for example, 192.168.1.10) and then turn OFF DHCP on the SLAVE.
5/ Link them with an ethernet cable, and reboot.

Here is a picture of the DHCP config page:

I hope this works for you; this picture is of the SLAVE config:
Originally Posted by unlokia View Post
Thank you for the quick reply.

Same SSID and Password for both routers or different for Master and Slave ie Master = Orange-Up, Slave = Orange-Down?

- Aaron.
Old 28-August-2012, 20:10
Screamager

Thank you for the quick reply.

Same SSID and Password for both routers or different for Master and Slave ie Master = Orange-Up, Slave = Orange-Down?

- Aaron.
Master and slave normally use IDENTICAL SSIDs and IDENTICAL Wireless keys, but yes - you could have "UP" and "DOWN" names instead

[edit] Using the separate SSIDs just makes more work for you, whereas using a seamless, uniform SSID means the PC *should* find the best signal itself.

You're welcome, and God bless you

Last edited by unlokia; 28-August-2012 at 20:21.
Old 28-August-2012, 20:36
Screamer

Okay, I fixed it.

You idea worked like a treat.

Thank you very much unlokia.

Quick question, does this work for Plugin lan cables into the back of the one downstairs.

Last time this worked with NetGear and Brightbox but not for Bright to Bright.

But the wireless is working and strong all around the house.

Thank you so much!!
Old 28-August-2012, 20:41
Screamager

Okay, I fixed it.

You idea worked like a treat.

Thank you very much unlokia.

Quick question, does this work for Plugin lan cables into the back of the one downstairs.

Last time this worked with NetGear and Brightbox but not for Bright to Bright.

But the wireless is working and strong all around the house.

Thank you so much!!
I am delighted for you!

Yes, you should be able to plug into the LAN ports on the slave, as the master is serving DHCP through the slave to the computer - the slave is just a conduit.

You are more than welcome
Old 28-August-2012, 21:38
Screamer

Sweet!

Do you know anything about the ping issues? It has been giving me these results for around 1-2 mouths now!!

- Aaron
Old 28-August-2012, 22:14
Screamager

Sweet!

Do you know anything about the ping issues? It has been giving me these results for around 1-2 mouths now!!

- Aaron
No idea - what ping issues?
Old 28-August-2012, 22:57
Screamer

Always getting these results.

I never used to I would always have 20 ms...

I haven't changed anything on my side..I have rang Orange around 20 times complaining but they always say it's my fault.
Old 28-August-2012, 23:30
Screamager

Always getting these results.

I never used to I would always have 20 ms...

I haven't changed anything on my side..I have rang Orange around 20 times complaining but they always say it's my fault.
I'm no ADSL expert, but that's a slow ping; I'd call Orange back and ask them to do a DSLAM BRAS profile reset and/or "whoosh" test. If I am giving incorrect advice, maybe someone else will correct me and give you the right advice.
Old 04-September-2012, 14:53
Screamer

I rang them and said to the service technician and she didn't have a clue. I was getting kind of angry at her, she kept going on about "We only get direct information from the exchange, we do not look or deal with Members forums".

I then explained to her last time I spoke to a team "mate" about high ping and he said if you're still facing high ping call us back and we'll reset your line..

She then told me "To let her speak and state the issue in simpler terms, which I thought was very rude".

She said "I'll put in a request for a line reset, but i'm not sure they'll do one, but i'll ask for one" - Just ****ing really?

By then I was ****ing ****ed off, so I said to her well this phone call was usless and hung up.

Rude bitch

Last edited by bouncingjohn; 05-September-2012 at 10:55. Reason: Please don't try to circumvent the swear filter
Old 04-September-2012, 15:45
Screamager

I rang them and said to the service technician and she didn't have a clue. I was getting kind of angry at her, she kept going on about "We only get direct information from the exchange, we do not look or deal with Members forums".

I then explained to her last time I spoke to a team "mate" about high ping and he said if you're still facing high ping call us back and we'll reset your line..

She then told me "To let her speak and state the issue in simpler terms, which I thought was very rude".

She said "I'll put in a request for a line reset, but i'm not sure they'll do one, but i'll ask for one" - Just ****ing really?

By then I was ****ing ****ed off, so I said to her well this phone call was usless and hung up.

Rude bitch
Your attitude sounds pretty bad to me, with all respect. No wonder you got nowhere.

From what you have stated, she is entirely correct, and yes - why would she be taking into account some information from some (to her) unknown website, in order to solve your problems? BRAS profiles are stored at the BT exchange, she is resetting the BRAS profile, and that will hopefully sort you out.

You get further in life being patient and gracious than being bad tempered and hotheaded.

Take care

Last edited by bouncingjohn; 05-September-2012 at 11:09. Reason: Removed bad language from quote
Old 05-September-2012, 11:07

tempzz: I've edited your posted to remove your circumvention of the swear filter. While I have no problem with "bad" language myself many people do. Bottom line: it's there for a reason, try to do it again and you will be banned.
Old 09-September-2012, 01:23
Screamager

Apparently the newer versions of the Bright Box allow ANY MTU value to be preset, and not just 1492. I have four Bright Boxes, one a few months old, and the other three that came within the last week, and the old(er) one has this at the bottom of the label:

"146000107400J R01 ELN"

whereas ALL of the other three, newer ones have:

"146000107400J R01 WQJ"

It seems that the last three chars of that string indicate a newer version...
Old 23-September-2012, 20:29

Hi Unlockia,
Fantastic work very impressed, so impressed I went and got myself one of those USB serial connectors.
I obtained my bright box from my friend when she switched from orange. she saw it as useless, and I saw it had potential. I've followed up some of your tutorials which are very useful. I want to try build a firmware and try and change a few restrictive things. Personally my modem is cable so I have no reason to use this to access the internet.
Who knows if I successfully 'unlock' It I could always sell it again so it could be used via any ISP.
If you have any other discoveries please let me know.

Thanks Metalix
Old 23-September-2012, 21:10

Hi Unlockia,
Fantastic work very impressed, so impressed I went and got myself one of those USB serial connectors.
I obtained my bright box from my friend when she switched from orange. she saw it as useless, and I saw it had potential. I've followed up some of your tutorials which are very useful. I want to try build a firmware and try and change a few restrictive things. Personally my modem is cable so I have no reason to use this to access the internet.
Who knows if I successfully 'unlock' It I could always sell it again so it could be used via any ISP.
If you have any other discoveries please let me know.

Thanks Metalix
Old 02-October-2012, 20:26

Hi Unlockia. Google believes you're the only person on the planet with this level of knowledge on the Bright Box :-)
I'm wondering if you've encountered the odd behaviour I see, where the BB fails to bridge wifi to wires network requests - Specifically ICMP ping (annoying) and seemingly CUPS printing (really annoying). I had hoped to find a setting somewhere in the UI but despite disabling the 'block ICMP from the outside' "feature" it still seems to be actively policing traffic bridging my local LAN/Wifi worlds.
Old 17-October-2012, 20:39
Screamer

Hi All,

I have just joined Orange BB and I'm waiting for my Bright Box to arrive :-) as soon as it does I will get started on "improving" it.

Has anyone got a firmware file? Or the the source code?
Old 22-October-2012, 18:01

Hi all,
I stumbled across this thread whilst trying to work out how to get my home to office VPN working.

Anyone had any experience / luck with getting on a VPN over their brightbox?

All Orange would say is that they don't support VPN. - But I don't believe they filter out IP-sec traffic. So I think the problem would be somewhere in the router itself.

From googling, various posters complain that going from their old livebox to the new brightbox caused their existing VPN connections to stop working. But their posts don't seem to resolve in any answers.

My particular problem is that I can connect fine, but I can never reach any of the hosts in the office. I can take the laptop to an internet cafe and bingo, I'm on ok. So I know it's not a problem with my laptop.

Anyway - thanks for reading.

Cheers
Old 21-November-2012, 04:47

Hi all,
I stumbled across this thread whilst trying to work out how to get my home to office VPN working.

Anyone had any experience / luck with getting on a VPN over their brightbox?

All Orange would say is that they don't support VPN. - But I don't believe they filter out IP-sec traffic. So I think the problem would be somewhere in the router itself.

From googling, various posters complain that going from their old livebox to the new brightbox caused their existing VPN connections to stop working. But their posts don't seem to resolve in any answers.

My particular problem is that I can connect fine, but I can never reach any of the hosts in the office. I can take the laptop to an internet cafe and bingo, I'm on ok. So I know it's not a problem with my laptop.

Anyway - thanks for reading.

Cheers
Originally Posted by dcorbish View Post
The network you are connecting from cannot be on the same subnet as the network you are trying to connect to over VPN, you will not be able to reach any of the clients on that network.

E.g.
home network IP 192.168.1.x
work network IP 192.168.1.x

will not work,

home network IP 192.168.1.x
work network IP 192.168.0.x

will work.
Old 20-January-2013, 00:10
Screamer

I hope people are still following this thread.

The general discussion is all a bit too clever for me, but here goes.

I've just received a Brightbox to replace my Livebox.

I had a USB printer plugged into the USB socket in the Livebox and others could use it without a problem both wirelessly and on the network.

The USB socket in the Brightbox only seems to support memory sticks and hard drives.

Can anyone suggest a way I can make my USB printer available wirelessly or on the network using the Brightbox (or possibly combined the old Livebox?).

Not surprisingly, Orange/EE can't help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21-January-2013, 20:50
Screamer

Hi Unlokia.

Is there any chance you can re-link to the firmware files like you did in the first few posts?

I have been given a BrightBox router and would like to use it as a repeater in my house, but when I connect to 192.168.1.1 via ethernet, I am taken to a page that is requesting the system and bootloader files.

Many thanks in advance. It is the ingenious people like you in this world that allow many people to succeed with these things. You have my total respect and admiration.

Thanks.
Old 23-January-2013, 21:42
Screamer

DefaultPort 8085 - login_guest.htm

I think I've found something for remote managing this router. I used to use dynamic dns on previous router. But disappointed this didn't have remote management to use the dynamic dns usefully. Someone mentioned that there is a port open 8085. Well I have dynamic dns enabled and filled in with my account details. When I go to my Dynamicdns address and add ":8085" it goes to a Login_guest.htm page. I'm doing this on my iPad which ends up with an error of "too many redirects" hopefully this will work on my laptop will update if it does.
Old 29-January-2013, 08:52
Screamer

Just to follow on from my previous post, I made a cable and linked it to a physical serial port on an old dell laptop. Unfortunately, upon power up, the data that was sent was unreadable. I tried various combinations of baud, length and stop bits without joy. Can anyone offer any advice? It was given to me due to a problem while orange were sending the new EE branding. I have one myself but after looking last night, there are no pins where the header should be and so I was unable to narrow the problem.

Thanks
Old 11-February-2013, 21:16
Screamer

I'm here to find out if I can override the username that orange have forced to end in "@fs" myself. I've google and googled but to no avail. Other people have asked the question but it does not seem to be answered except maybe for this thread:

https://the-scream.co.uk/forums/t31389.html

where someone has recommended their own site where you pay to use a tool that allows you to change the username 10 times but you cannot edit the router settings without changing the username back to include the "@fs". No-one else seems to have used the site...

So if it is possible, how is it done please?

:-)

Last edited by lunarsi; 11-February-2013 at 21:42.
Old 26-February-2013, 13:41
Screamer

Just to follow on from my previous post, I made a cable and linked it to a physical serial port on an old dell laptop. Unfortunately, upon power up, the data that was sent was unreadable. I tried various combinations of baud, length and stop bits without joy. Can anyone offer any advice? It was given to me due to a problem while orange were sending the new EE branding. I have one myself but after looking last night, there are no pins where the header should be and so I was unable to narrow the problem.

Thanks
Originally Posted by RaggedyMan View Post
Signals Levels are TTL!
Old 28-February-2013, 13:09
Screamer

Hi I have one of these routers was sent it by mistake. I would love to use it as my primary router but I'm currently on plus net fibre but the router is no good for me as I can't forward ports. There must be s solution to it being able to accept @fs username as it can be done remotely (for a charge). If indeed it is genuine. I unfortunately have no idea as to how.
I'm willing to donate my router if effort was to be put in to this area but would request upon success it to be returned to me I would also be willing to donate if this became possible.
Old 05-March-2013, 11:21
Screamer

Can someone please share the default WiFi WPA key length?

eg. 10 char lowercase alpha numerical [a-z] [0-9]

thanks

Tags
419, adsl, beauty, brightbox, broadband, compare, delay, dhcp, dns, feature, files, firmware, flash, hack, hacking, home, key, line, lock, make, mobile, nat, network, orange, port, product, router, settings, sharing, tools, web, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode