Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15-December-2003, 21:14
nomad

Defaultremote desktop

Hi,
I have just built a basic pc to allow me to use broadband to its fullest (3 days to go) as I use a laptop most of the time.
both use windows xp and are networked together with no problems at all (both pcs drives accesible either way)
The pc will be basically just a case in a wardrobe no monitor etc.
So I intend to use the remote desktop facility to start downloads and transfer files etc.
When I start remote desktop connection and go to choose the computer I select the "browse for more" where I can see MSHOME with a check box, when I click on this I get the following message "the mshome domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers"
so basically what is a terminal server?
and is there anything I can do to get this working?
Thanks
Old 16-December-2003, 09:21
nomad

had a night to think about it, managed to sort the problem by using the ip address which I tried yesterday although this time I remembered to log off the client pc first...doh!!

2 days to go
Old 16-December-2003, 09:28
Screamager

http://www.tightvnc.com/

'Slo
Old 16-December-2003, 13:35
nomad

slo
worth a peek, although I am happy with remote desktop as it does everything I need.
PC is sitting happily in the wardrobe with just a power lead network cable and the adsl modem.
I just plug in my laptop and away I go, Cant wait till I get connected I am like a child waiting for christmas
now if I could just queiten down the power supply fan and maybe invest in a wireless network I would be happy as a pig in the proverbial.....
any recomendations fo a cheap wireless network?? laptop end would have to be usb
Thanks
Nomad
Old 15-February-2004, 01:25
rbrydon

I'm very new to networking and would appreciate any help on the following...

I currently have a Desktop PC running Windows XP Home and would like to purchase a laptop and connect them together using a wireless network and share files/broadband internet.

However, I would like to be able to shut my desktop away in a cupboard, leaving it connected to my hifi and tv to play music stored on it. By using Remote Desktop Connection I would then like to operate this main PC from my laptop (a bit like a remote control) as though I was sitting in front of the desktop pc itself.

Is this possible in this way, or does anyone recommend anything else. Other threads talk about remote desktop connection via the internet, but I want to do it over a wireless home network (i.e. sit on the sofa and play music via my main PC).

Some threads I have read say I need XP Professional rather than Home - is this true. Would TightVNC work over a home network ?

Any help appreciated.
Old 15-February-2004, 06:44
Screamager

Yep, it's entirely possible and something people have been able to do for ages

Check out the link to Tight VNC in the 3rd post in this thread

'Slo

P.S. Welcome to TS!
Old 22-February-2004, 21:23
colin1

Question

Hi Nomad,

I'm also receiving the message "...domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers".

How did you resolve the problem? I don't understand what steps you took as described in your followup message...
Old 29-June-2004, 13:09
richardoh

when I try to gain access to a workgroup computer in remote desktop XP I get the message " The MSHOME workgroup/domain does not contain any terminal servers"
I then tried to input the IP address and got the error "unable to log you on because of account restrictions"
I have enabled remote desktop access on both computers and the passwords are correct???

I am on a wireless Lan, and can access some files remotly using the network neighborhood icon.
Old 01-July-2004, 09:41
nomad

hi richard,
the settings for this baffled me for a whle, basically now I have the following:
computer : ip of the pc you want to access (my case 192.168.0.4)
user name : of that pc
password : of that user name
domain : mshome

if this does not work can you ping each pc?
are the ip's set manually?
is there a firewall interfering?

nomad
Old 04-July-2004, 12:24
richardoh

Nomad,

Thanks for the reply, but I've tried that on both computers and I keep on getting the message 'unable to log on due to account restrictions'. I have shut all the firewalls off as well!!!!!!!
Old 04-July-2004, 19:56
nomad

Richard,
did you try pinging each machine from a command prompt?

nomad
Old 05-July-2004, 11:43
richardoh

Yeah, I pinged both machines and got a good response.....

I did notice something else though, when I tried to add a remote user under the remote desktop user options, it only allowed me to add someone from my own computer. The locations and Users are both greyed out and will not let me change them, even when I press the locations button, my computer is the only option.

Just to let you know I can still connect to the drives of the other computers via the mshome network!!!!
Old 07-July-2004, 16:10
richardoh

I tried this again today, and after adding a password to the machine I want to control it worked.

At Last... I'm not sure what I did different from the last time I added a password, but it worked this time. Not sure also why I can't just type the computer name to get access, but the ip address works fine.

Cheers for your help Nomad... O' and 'Come on you SPURS'.....
Old 07-July-2004, 16:44
Screamager

opps
Old 07-July-2004, 20:09
nomad

Richard,
glad you got it sorted,
remote desktop seems to be one of those things that you can setup till your blue in the face and it still wont work then suddenly.....it works and you do not know why!!

SPURS, cowboys have them on their boots don't they?

personally never had a problem with Tottenham, my two pet hates have always been the red mancs and the red scousers, although thanks to a certain russian I wouldnt mind finishing 19th in the league as long as Chelsea were bottom
Old 07-July-2004, 23:17
Life in the Farce Lane

UltraVNC is worth a look too.
Extra features are neat

For some reason nearly all the VNC's need you to set a password after you have rebooted with it running as a service then to ensure it has stuck reboot again.
never had any problems if I do that

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/website/
Old 08-July-2004, 10:13
richardoh

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it remains OK!!!!

By the way, couldn't agree more about Chelski.... Hopefully we won't finish 19th though, we may need the other half of the French national team to stop it....

Cheers
Old 30-November-2004, 14:25
BiTbOt

DefaultRe: remote desktop

I believe to make remote desktop function over a workgroup you need to log into the other machine using an account that exists on the remote machine and that account must be a power user or admin. also on the remote machine under remote desktop tab in System properties you need to add the account to the allowed list. this will prevent any tom dick or harry controlling you remote pc

just started an MCSE and have come across this one whilst studying.
Old 20-January-2005, 00:03
BiTbOt

remote desktop connection to a remote pc is only allowed if the windows account (on the remote machine) to which you are logging in has a password. however if the account your connecting to is an ADMIN account you dont have to bother with adding the name to the remote desktop users list. remore desktop access is granted to admins by default under xp

for what its worth........glad you sorted it
Old 05-July-2008, 05:42
jhaymayclow

hi everyone..i get the same the error "the mshome domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal server" i'm using windows xp pro..to figure out my connection. (my personal computer) connected to (switch d-link) switch connected to (dslmodem) other computer connected to the switch.
i can access the workstation in my network neighborhood.
but when i used remote desktop connection and browse computer,error comes out "the mshome domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal server".pls help me...pls help me.....pls help me....
i cannot also shutdown remote computer....pls help me.im in automatic ip configuration.

Tags
adsl, broadband, cable, christmas, computer, connection, files, happy, home, internet, laptop, make, modem, music, network, settings, share, sofa, talk, windows, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode