Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14-October-2006, 13:44
DCP11OC

DefaultLine Attenuation - How to reduce?

I am on my neighbours connection at the moment, pending further inquireies with AOL, however, on their website, you type in their phone number, I done this and it said I could recieve up to 512Kbps, how do I improve this, I heard about Line Attenuation, last time I checked it was I think at 68dB, how do I reduce this so I can have 1Mbps?
Thanks in advance, don't know when I can come back on-line yet.

By the way, my neighbour connection is unsecured and I can see he has D-Link router and he has:

DSL Speed 288 Kbps Upstream, 1152 Kbps Downstream, 2x faster then my previous Tiscali 512K set-up.
Old 14-October-2006, 14:00
Optimistic Curmudgeon

DefaultRe: Line Attenuation - How to reduce?

Did you try plugging your computer into the 'master socket' of the BT phone socket when you did the AOL phone test ?
Old 14-October-2006, 15:20

You can also remove the ring wire from the phone socket this can help if they are connected, the phones will still ring as modern phones dont need it.

Details here
Old 14-October-2006, 20:49
Zer02004

If the master socket test sees an appreciable improvement in line stats, then your internal wiring or telephony equipment is faulty and needs attention.
Old 14-October-2006, 22:33
Optimistic Curmudgeon

See the attention to detail you get here DCP ?
Old 21-August-2007, 15:33
Yelly

ExclamationRe: Line Attenuation - How to reduce?

See the attention to detail you get here DCP ?
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
The question is how to reduce phone like attenuation -_-
is there any device for this purpose!!
Old 21-August-2007, 17:01
Austin_KW

Move closer to the exchange.

Attenuation (for dsl) is the loss of signal as it travels through the cable. Simplified, it is a function of the cable length and the frequency. Some modems may allow you to increase your signal, but that would only help for the upstream (stuff you send) which is usually not the problem.
They would have to compensate for attenuation by increasing the signal from the exchange. But they are not going to do that as it would add noise and crosstalk to other peoples lines.
Old 21-August-2007, 18:17
Austin_KW

Also those phone number checks are just estimated
My BT estimate
Code:
Our initial test on your phone line indicates that you should be able to have BT Total Broadband 
with a likely maximum speed of up to 4.5 (Megabits per second).
My actual current from bt
Code:
Broadband connection details:
Downstream      7,840 Kbps
Upstream        448 Kbps

Not quite double but some difference
Old 22-August-2007, 01:10
TitanADSL

here is what may do the trick for you on improving your stats, still may be a hit or miss i am afraid.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html
Old 22-August-2007, 02:01
Austin_KW

here is what may do the trick for you on improving your stats, still may be a hit or miss i am afraid.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html
Originally Posted by TitanADSL View Post
While everyone should probably do this, it really only removes the unbalanced wires (that I guess would work like antennas) on your internal wiring. It will only stop your signal from degrading further not improve the quality of the signal as delivered at your master socket.
Replacing your internal wiring with cat5(e) is another solution, especially if you want to connect your modem at an extension socket.

If you line attenuation is greater than 60 then I dont think you can get more than 512kbs, even if your SN margins are good.
But the points made by others are valid and you should check the figures at the test socket. You might also want to try a couple of different modems as these are not calibrated like real test equipment.
You might also want to try some of the more expensive rj11 modem cables, some people report that these can make a difference. But I am skeptical, if you are miles from the exchange, what difference can a £20 2 meter cable make.
Old 27-August-2007, 12:15
Olozzj

But I am skeptical, if you are miles from the exchange, what difference can a £20 2 meter cable make.
Originally Posted by Austin_KW View Post
If you get an ultra-low resistance RJ11 cable, it can actually make all the difference in the world if you're running 5M+ from your master phone socket. Otherwise, you may as well not bother.

That price for a 2M cable is hideous, i work in a computer shop and we sell a 20M ultra-low resistance cable for just £9.50, and that's still making good profit!
Old 19-November-2007, 10:17
Darkly

Hi Olozzj, I'm running a 20m RJ11 from my PC upstairs to the phone socket downstairs... bought one off ebay...

(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20M-ADSL-RJ11-...QQcmdZViewItem)

I take it this would be a normal low quality one? What make/spec is the ultra-low res cable you mention (and do you do mail order?)
Old 19-November-2007, 18:42
Olozzj

That looks like a standard one, although it's hard to tell from the basic description given. Our RJ11's are manufactured by Mercury cables, which we've found a brilliant make. Unfortunately we don't do mail order, but I'm sure there'll be a computer shop nearby yourself which will supply these cables, or the equivalent.

PS welcome to The Scream!
Old 20-November-2007, 17:52
Darkly

Thanks for the advice, and the welcome

Will try a local computer store.. did look on the Internet but can't seem to find any Mercury Cables... (if you have a URL then that would be cool!).
Old 20-November-2007, 18:31
Olozzj

Unfortunately they don't have a web site, or certainly not one I can find. The proper company name is Mercury Telecraft Ltd, and they are a British company, but they don't seem to have a web site.

There are other good manufacturers of ultra-low resistance RJ11's, so I would have a look at your local computer shops and see what they have. You never know, you might even find some Mercury cables in there lol
Old 23-August-2008, 15:45
Dan

My Line Attenuation is around 59db this is a problem but like others have said here already, you can only help it out a little. The simple fact is your stuck unless you route up your house and get closer to your exchange! I've managed to obtain a 1.8meg connection with this 7.6km distance.

I used a recommended master faceplate XTE-2005 which has a built in filter, I've bought as mentioned here i think already a STP RJ11 (or FTP) cable to cut out noise, my wireless router connects straight to the master socket and I've personally gone round my house re-wiring with clean connections. I only added the wires you need to use I.E. 235 to again cut out any noise/crosstalk i have a sky box and a phone connected to the lines also, these dont interfer like some people seem to think sky hardly use your box to dial out though and when it does it's only a 56k modem and the packets are small and done in a few mins no biggy, you need really good filters cant stress that enough do research on this i when't with a type that got 94 reviews half saying increase in speeds these are a safe bet (would mention make but it doesn't say!), some say what distance there suitable up to (although between you and me in not sure if thats 5km of extensions or 5km from exchange??? likely to be the latter).

My DownStream is 2848 my UpStream is 448. Good luck with it all I'm with sky internet by the by. Customer service is jank if you know what your doing. I had an argument with a CLAIMING to be English chick about why i dont need my phone plugged into the micro filter if it's not being used! MY GOOD GOD! she hung up on me after i abused her. sorry for spelling im in a rush
Old 06-December-2009, 21:44
photodelic

SmileRe: Line Attenuation - How to reduce?

I wont name the company but I work with ADSL BB.
Unfortunately the 2 things that determine speed are line length and attenuation which is simply general line condition and these cannot be changed dramatically by the end user.... what attenuation does your neighbour have?..It may well be lower. 68db is quite high and just a few years ago would have been deemed too high to support BB.
You can do the obvious things like connect to the master socket without any extension cable and make sure any other socket also have ADSL filters on before any other item, standard phone cables to handle high frequencies (BB) very well and create spikes (errors)on the loop.
Call your ISP as your line may be capped for stabilty.
Try your neighbours router as well to see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-September-2010, 13:28
simpsonsmanic

ExclamationLine Attenuation - How to reduce?

Im about 1.2 - 1.5 mi away from the exhange and my line attenuation is 63dB what shall I do?
Old 06-September-2010, 17:25
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Im about 1.2 - 1.5 mi away from the exhange and my line attenuation is 63dB what shall I do?
Originally Posted by simpsonsmanic View Post

If you have checked all the previous suggestions out and you still have no improvement, you could report this figure to your 'phoneline provider and ask for a 'line boost' or possibly a check on the connections between the exchange and your house.
Old 06-September-2010, 20:57
Screamager

Originally Posted by simpsonsmanic View Post
Who is your isp? the unusually high attenuation could be a fault with the llu kit at the exchange,
But it could also just be that the route the line from the exchange takes to your premises is a lot longer than the distance to the exchange is,

or that you are connected to an exchange that is further away, or a line fault,or a just the router reporting a higher figure that it should,
But it's certainly worth your while checking it out if you are able to
But if your are in the test socket behind the faceplate using a filter that is known to be good,and have tried another router, and no improvements are seen then if bt /isp say no faults then there is nothing you can do it is at the level it is at, that is the adsl lottery thanks to bt and it's network that was not designed for adsl to run on

Tags
adsl, aol, broadband, bt, cable, company, computer, connection, internet, isp, line, mail, make, master socket, modem, network, phone, reviews, router, shop, sky, speed, speeds, tiscali, web, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode