Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Internet Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-May-2008, 17:09
Former TS! Team

DefaultRe: BT Line Tests (quiet line/distance from exchange etc)

BT now require a pin to run most of these tests
Old 07-May-2008, 17:43
Shmed

I guess this pin isn't common knowledge either?! I suppose they have to retain some 'knowledge' so they are still needed
Old 07-May-2008, 20:37

The pin is unique to the Openreach engineer who is doing the test he can also use his mobile phone number.

The test no longer gives the cable length anyway with or without a pin
Old 07-May-2008, 20:39

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but I have an issue that may be resolved by calling BT (though I seriously doubt that), but need some clarification.

I want the O2 broadband package and when I put my postcode in, I get told that there is great news, and I can get their service. When I enter my phone number however, boo hoo, no broadband available. Apparently this is because I am over 4km from my exchange. The house I live in is only 3 years old, and I can't believe that I am 4km from the exchange unless my phone line is routed via BT's Indian call centre for troubleshooting purposes.

As the postcode returns a positive result, and the phone number returns a negative result, can I get BT to re-route my phone line? Or could I change the number to get it re-routed?

Cheers in advance
Originally Posted by Shmed View Post
Try the sam knows site it will show you where your exchange is. It will give you an idea of distance but he cable could go the long way round.

www.samknows.com
Old 11-September-2008, 22:58
webafella

Hi again Sil !

Never mind the magic, I think someone has put a curse on me and my net connection

If, as you say, I live that close to my local exchange and should get a decent connection....,
then why don't I ?

Originally Posted by MegaTsunami View Post
WHo is your ISP provider and what part of UK do you live? I did not bother to test my line since I know roughly how far I am from the exchange but I get 17 MBPS download and 1.7 MBPS upload so that is okay, compared to what I see others using and my work place. I use www.bethere.co.uk and if you are close to the exchange, it will work fine.
Old 11-September-2008, 23:14

QuestionRe: BT Line Tests (quiet line/distance from exchange etc)

It's not just the distance from the exchange that matters (I'm only approximately 285 metres from the exchange) and all I can get is up to 8Mbs on ADSL Max. We do not have LLU so I'm stuck with BT (directly or indirectly). 21CN PSTN switchover target (whatever that is!): Q3 2009.
Old 18-November-2009, 19:20
Screamager

Hi,

Since people often mention the 'quiet line test' or ask 'how do I find out how far I'm away from the exchange', here's some simple instructions

The BT line test facility can be accessed from any BT (or WorldOnline) line by dialling 17070.

Quiet Line Test

Unplug any extention phones, extention cables, answer machines or fax (anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket. If you are sure its the line making the noise then dial BT (or WorldOnline) and report the fault, they should be able to sort it out. Remember that 'mis-reporting' a fault (e.g. if it turns out to be your phone, extention cord etc.) may be charged a call-out fee by BT (/WOL).

any probs? see It doesn't work? (below)

Distance From Exchange

Dial the same line test number as the quiet line test (17070). Then press option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (to say you are authorised, don't worry about 'not being officially authorised'). The press option 2 (ring back test). Then put the phone down.

You will get called back by the test facility within about 10 seconds, one of the bits of information given will be distance from exchange (in kilometres).

*The distance result may not be accurate if you have a 'DACs' fitted. It is not 100% accurate but does serve as a guide.

any probs? see It doesn't work? (below)

It doesn't work?

You need a BT line (or WorldOnline).

You need to use a touch tone phone (don't think it works without one).

You have caller line id (CLI) blocked, if this is the case then on dialling 17070 the message will include 'there is no CLI detected for this circuit'. You can get round this by dialling a prefix before 17070, the prefix is 1470, so the full line test number will be 1470 17070.

Sil
Originally Posted by silver View Post
The menu here has now been changed, pressing 2 for ring back 'not a valid option', after pressing 1, also after selecting any of the other tests,you get prompted for the bt mobile phone number and a pin code, quite test still working but no distance from exchange ect
Old 21-November-2009, 20:18
Mr Pedantic

I think the service is now no longer available
Old 06-March-2010, 23:20
mckinneyjr

Hi their, i work for openreach as a brodband and telecoms engineer, the reason that the distance gives a longer result as the phone lines follow the paths of roads etc, a standered line joines on to the main network at the junction with the main road and runs under the road to your local telepone exchange. Inside the exchange is just a bundle of wires so some linescan run for a further 400m inside the exchange, this is normaly because the line will be conected to get a dialing tone but also into the cabinet to get brodband, i would recomend getting rid of all telephone extenshions and haveing your phone and router/ modem pluged into your master telephone socket in order to acheive the best connection and speed.

for any other advice please email me on

Email address removed

I hope i can be of some assistance

thanks Jonathan

Last edited by JohnnyReb51; 07-March-2010 at 10:16. Reason: Removed Email address, antispam.
Old 10-June-2010, 23:31
stuey

i tried the 17070 to try and and find my number it came back 01554xxxxxxbut this is not a local number. all local numbers start with 7 or 77. so i ran my mobile and it id 01554xxxxxx. what do i do to setup a new account?

Last edited by silver; 11-June-2010 at 12:32. Reason: sil edit number
Old 11-June-2010, 12:36

i tried the 17070 to try and and find my number it came back 01554xxxxxxbut this is not a local number. all local numbers start with 7 or 77. so i ran my mobile and it id 01554xxxxxx. what do i do to setup a new account?
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
who is your phone provider? You will need to talk to them about your phone number service.

17070 will work on a BT line to give certain information (though line length / distance from telephone exchange is no longer working)

numbers starting 77 - that is not a telephone number in the UK, at least it is not a full number that includes the dialling code, most landline UK numbers have a 5 digit code like 01.... then a 6 or 7 digit number that can be dialled without the prefix if dialled from a local number
Old 11-June-2010, 18:42
Screamager

Just an update , if your bt number is not available ( caller i.d.withheld) by default as many x directory numbers are, you have to dial the prefix 1470 before the 17070 to hear your circuit number and be able to access the ring back facility, the only other option that anyone can use is the quite line test, all other options are pin protected,on most lines

Tags
adsl, bad, broadband, bt, cable, company, connection, design, email, generator, google, home, isp, line, mail, make, master socket, mobile, modem, network, phone, product, screen, speed, talk

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode