Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-April-2005, 17:37
eddy3oy

UnhappyRemote Desktop with Virgin BB

Hi,

Any help here would be greatly appriciated as I've tried Virgin customer services a couple of times now and on both occasions (after waiting 10 mins) I'be been told that the ysimply don't know the answer. To cut a long story short I'm trying to connect via Remote Desktop on a Win 98 machine to a Terminal Services Server. I've had the set up working on another machine with a different ISP and everything works fine. For some reason though, the connection won't get through on Virgin. Has anyone had any success with this? I believe port 3389 is required to be open but from what I've seen Virgin aren't meant to block any ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
Old 06-April-2005, 13:21
BiTbOt

DefaultRe: Remote Desktop with Virgin BB

i would check any software firewalls you have. ISP as far as I know dont block any ports.

Can we get more info/spec on the two machines. Are they directly connected to WWW or behind routers etc
Old 06-April-2005, 15:15
eddy3oy

Hi BitBot,

The machines are pretty much identical, both running Windows 98, neither have a firewall and neither are behind routers. I can use Remote Desktop on one machine if I dial up using a Demon account, which I know supports VPN. However, when I try on the second machine with Virgin broadband, it won't connect. It gives the same error message as the one I get if I try to dial in with a Freeserve account, and that doesn't support VPN as far as I know. Also, speaking to Virgin today, one customer serve rep mentioned that they had blocked some ports in order to stop MSBlaster spreading but he was unable to confirm which ones they had blocked. I'm awaiting a call back from the tech dept.

Essentialy, I know the machine will connect if I use another dial up ISP, I just wondered if anyone can confirm whether VPN or whatever protocol Remote Desktop uses is supported by Virgin.Net as I can't find this info on their website and their support dept seems unable to confirm either way for some reason.

Thanks for your help.

Ed
Old 07-April-2005, 15:33
eddy3oy

The plot thickens. Virgin have just called and explained that as they are primarily a residential service provider, the remote desktop service will not work (I have also tried PC Anywhere and this won't connect either). So, rather than mess around anymore I'm gonna change ISP to Pipex. The Virgin account costs £25 a month anyway and appears to offer alot less than ISPs with a similar price.

Cheers anyway
Old 28-January-2006, 09:41
Mr. X

AngryRe: Remote Desktop with Virgin BB

I wish Virgin Broadband Support had told me that you cannot use Microsoft Remote Desktop with Virgin Broadband when I twice asked them for help!! [Remote desktop is the only real difference between WindowsXP & WindowsXP Pro] What on earth do they think people want internet connections for!! That is disgraceful.

I have been trying for more than a year without success and am ready to move to another ISP. Here is what I have found:

- able to connect Nortel VPN (virtual private network software) no problem.

- Remote Desktop will connect & display the remote desktop's background theme ... BUT the login box is never displayed.

- have tried reducing the MTU (a common cause of packet fragmentation problems) with no change

- 2 versions of VNC, a shareware remote desktop, has exactly the same problem.

-It is not a firewall issue. It is not a virus checker issue.

I am unable to access it via: my Virgin ADSL broadband (using the Virgin USB modem) connection nor via the alternative Virgin Dial-up link (although that just keeps dropping out...however I can connect via a work supplied dial-up internet service (although it would be too expensive to use other than for test).

[By contrast, their Virgin Mobile Support...their cellular phone support...is excellent.]

Last edited by Mr. X; 01-July-2006 at 09:56.
Old 28-January-2006, 11:53

that's a pain, changing ISPs sounds like you best bet, I've used different vpns with eclipse + bulldog w/o issue

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!, you don't happen to live in scotland?
Old 28-January-2006, 15:57
Mr. X

PS, welcome to TS!, you don't happen to live in scotland?
Originally Posted by silver
Technically no, although I did have an urge to eat haggis this week...and, as England, Wales & Northern Ireland are run entirely by Scots these days, I suppose we could consider ourselves part of the Scottish empire.

My brother and I are big fans of Scotland -- myself for the mountaineering & ice climbing. My brother for the shooting & whiskey. We both love the countryside, the Islands and Highlands I suppose. Also, Brian Robertson is the greatest guitarist to have walked the earth -- and it needs to be said more often. Also a big fan of the Scottish President, Sean Connory (the man who would be King)...oh yesh.

In reality...we're closer to your neck of the woods, Silver.

Last edited by Mr. X; 28-January-2006 at 21:59.
Old 28-January-2006, 21:41

ah cool

just asking as there was another mr x (as if there could be more than one!) who was in scotland

Sil
Old 08-March-2006, 13:08
Mr. X

SmileRe: Remote Desktop with Virgin BB

I wish Virgin Broadband Support had told me that you cannot use Microsoft Remote Desktop with Virgin Broadband when I twice asked them for help!! [Remote desktop is the only real difference between WindowsXP & WindowsXP Pro] What on earth do they think people want internet connections for!! That is disgraceful.

I have been trying for more than a year without success and am ready to move to another ISP. Here is what I have found:

- able to connect Nortel VPN (virtual private network software) no problem.

- Remote Desktop will connect & display the remote desktop's background theme ... BUT the login box is never displayed.

- have tried reducing the MTU (a common cause of packet fragmentation problems) with no change

- 2 versions of VNC, a shareware remote desktop, has exactly the same problem.

-It is not a firewall issue. It is not a virus checker issue.

I am unable to access it via: my Virgin ADSL broadband (using the Virgin USB modem) connection nor via the alternative Virgin Dial-up link (although that just keeps dropping out...however I can connect via a work supplied dial-up internet service (although it would be too expensive to use other than for test).

[By contrast, their Virgin Mobile Support...their cellular phone support...is excellent.]
Originally Posted by Mr. X
I finally got VPN working of 512Kbps Virgin (NTL?) broadband. I just replaced the free Virgin Thompson USB ADSL modem with a cheap Linksys Wireless Router Switch -- started working immediately!
Old 12-April-2006, 14:17
VirginTech

Just as an extra note...Virgin.net do block ports but the one you mentioned is not included as far as I'm aware.

May be a case of port forwarding required in your router.
Old 30-June-2006, 19:50
VTech_Nullified

Or alternativly using a decent Remote desktop client such as VNC or logmein.com

Both are very good ...Vnc is infact alot better than the standard Remote desktop in windows.
Old 01-July-2006, 09:44
Mr. X

Or alternativly using a decent Remote desktop client such as VNC or logmein.com

Both are very good ...Vnc is infact alot better than the standard Remote desktop in windows.
Originally Posted by VTech_Nullified
I used VNC - it had exactly the same problem as remote desktop. As I said, Virgin's free ADSL modem seem to be the culprit.

BTW I use VNC (& UltraVNC ... which seems fussy & less reliable to me) everyday at work (usually have 3 or 4 instances open at a time) -- a fast, simple, effective product - very good. However, for remote access from home, I use remote desktop. VNC seems to be pretty insecure by default (which also makes it easy to use).

BTW I can now recommend Virgin broadband. Since joining, they lowered the price once and will now increase the bandwidth available (which was never a problem anyway). Gotta love a company that offers the best price, most open contract (no start-up fee or period), almost decent customer service, lowers the price & increases your bandwidth.

Last edited by Mr. X; 01-July-2006 at 09:54.
Old 01-July-2006, 11:03
VTech_Nullified

I agree UltraVNC is very good and easy to use.
I didnt know that the Speedtouch modem itself would block most ports or stop remote access itself, I will bear that in mind incase the question ever arises.

Most appriciated.
Old 01-July-2006, 12:50
Zer02004

The Speedtouch modem doesn't block any ports! It's not capable of doing so.
I use several VNC programs including those listed above via the Speedtouch and several different routers without problem.

Look to your firewall or ISP.
Old 01-July-2006, 12:58
Mr. X

I agree UltraVNC is very good and easy to use.
I didnt know that the Speedtouch modem itself would block most ports or stop remote access itself, I will bear that in mind incase the question ever arises.

Most appriciated.
Originally Posted by VTech_Nullified
I don't like UltraVNC although it mainly works ... regular old VNC seems to work better (I think different companies produce them -- so it might be an important point for somebody).

BTW the LinkSys wireless router solved the problem -- but it is only an average product. It looks racey but the construction is cheap, the documentation is poor, out of date & inconsistent with the software, which also could have been a lot better. A colleague got one despite my warnings, he gets power problems periodically (I suspect it may overheat) - however, the hardware for mine has been good ... the trick is all in getting the initial configuration working! All the fancy features and options are worthless -- ease of configuration is the most important thing (getting it working, then making it secure).:zap:
Old 01-July-2006, 15:33
Mr. X

WinkRe: Remote Desktop with Virgin BB

The Speedtouch modem doesn't block any ports! It's not capable of doing so.
I use several VNC programs including those listed above via the Speedtouch and several different routers without problem.

Look to your firewall or ISP.
Originally Posted by Zer02004
Yes, I didn't see any port config. options either; several folk & docs suggested it. The modem is crude. Most articles suggested changing packet size (MTU) in various parameters, using various 3rd party tools & regedit -- made no difference though.:zap:

Folk always suggest firewall too but I just ran the Windows XP built in one with RDP ports open. Even tried turning that off briefly (I recommend folk don't do this, especially on XP pre-SP2 -- unless they like virus infection...especially on any dial-up connection, like BT) - again made no difference.

If you read my original post, you will see that VNC (& ultraVNC) did not work either. Replacing the modem (with a wireless router switching hub firewall...) fixed the problem immediately.:ding:
Old 30-June-2007, 22:35
VIRGIN

CoolRe: Remote Desktop with Virgin BB

Virgin do not support VNC, Telnet or most P2P software as they block all ports. In short move to a real ISP that gives you control of you ports.
Old 30-June-2007, 23:14
VTech_Nullified

Virgin do not support VNC, Telnet or most P2P software as they block all ports. In short move to a real ISP that gives you control of you ports.
Originally Posted by VIRGIN View Post
I have no idea where this person gets its information.

but its incorrect :-)
Old 11-July-2007, 20:03
Fuel = Coffee & Smoke

agreed vtech, i think Virgin is a Virgin user.
as far as i know Virgin Media do not block any ports.
However VirginMedia do not provide support for ANY applications apart from Outlook Express and Inet Explorer. even then its limited to getting the program to do its job.

Tags
adsl, broadband, company, connection, eclipse, free, haggis, home, internet, isp, mobile, modem, network, offer, phone, port, product, router, software, speed, speedtouch, tools, virgin, virus, windows, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode