Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24-April-2007, 23:34
TheThumps

Defaultconsumer rights/pcworld sales person missold laptop

Hello - i was hoping someone would be able to help.
yesterday i went to pcworld to get a laptop on credit from them. but i wanted a laptop designed for playing games online, with complex up to date graphics etc, therfore up to date graphics card. and told the salesperson this. they recommended a laptop (a compaq presario v6000) and i also got windows vista. ( theres another issue) however when i tried to run games it performed badly - so i had an instant chat session with the technical people of the manafacturers of the laptop - who end up telling me it is a "notebook" laptop and not really designed for games. ( basically the graphics card does not have shader support 2.0 - and can't be upgraded - this makes it useless for gaming and espeacially online gaming ) therefore its no good to me. i have read the pcworld returns policy, and it states the product must be unused - which it is not as we took it in good faith that what they said was correct, and installed vista, office and norton and one game. i have a bad feeling i may be stuck with £800 of laptop and accesories that are useless to me, and doubt that they will willingly go in and let us change it for something that suits my requirements. does anyone know where i stand with consumer rights here ( bearing in mind it is a credit agreement on top of just a normal purchase) as the reccomendation was verbal obviously. does anyone know where i can get information about this or have any advice? please help!
Old 25-April-2007, 00:56

DefaultRe: consumer rights/pcworld sales person missold laptop

first port of call is the http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk - give them a call - should be a local number for them there somewhere

I would also try walking into the store with the thing wrapped back up and explain to their returns ppl what happened, be polite and patient if they don't appear to be moving ask to speak to the store manager - might work

good luck and let us know how it goes

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 25-April-2007, 02:13
?????

I think you may find they will do their best to help you! No I don't work for them. Just go back with it and tell them the advice to buy the particular item you're returning was wrong. Good luck.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 26-April-2007, 08:34
TheARC

Speak with the manager, explain that the sales guy said it was good for games as thats what you wanted, and that compaq have told you that it is not. and see what he says and take it from their.

If it was me.. then i'd be looking for a full refund. personnally would never buy computer/laptop from pcworld or any other retail outlet. to expensive. retail outlets have to cover cost's for the store so prices are higher than those online.
Old 11-May-2007, 11:08
SparleyChick

UnhappyRe: consumer rights/pcworld sales person missold laptop

Could you let me know how you got on with returning your laptop please? I'm in a similar position! Many Thanks.
Old 11-May-2007, 15:43
ladybird

personnally would never buy computer/laptop from pcworld or any other retail outlet. to expensive. retail outlets have to cover cost's for the store so prices are higher than those online.
Originally Posted by TheARC View Post

I will soon need a new pc.how would we go about picking a reliable online supplier and where could I get info about wireless?
Old 12-May-2007, 13:55
advancedkill

Take it back - PCWorld are crap. They don't give good advice - you should have asked them to show you a game running on it. To run games you need a dedicated video card, not onboard video. A x1600 (from ati) or 7600 (from nvidia) is the bare minumum for running games.
Old 12-May-2007, 15:48
jamie(newbie)

SmileRe: consumer rights/pcworld sales person missold laptop

Just spoken to my stepdad about this, basically credit agreement or not you have the right to return this if it is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold, you were told buy a sales representative that this machine was a gaming suitable machine and it isn't and you have had it confirmed by the manufacturer that it isn't so you were mis sold, go back to the shop, be nice and make sure if your turned away you speak to the manager!
Old 13-May-2007, 14:12
Screamager

Just spoken to my stepdad about this, basically credit agreement or not you have the right to return this if it is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold, you were told buy a sales representative that this machine was a gaming suitable machine and it isn't and you have had it confirmed by the manufacturer that it isn't so you were mis sold, go back to the shop, be nice and make sure if your turned away you speak to the manager!
Originally Posted by jamie(newbie) View Post

Yep, Its 'Sale of Goods Act' - Goods should be Fit for purpose' - which means it should perform the function you bought it to do.

Let them know that you're not happy as soon as possible and then stop using it completely.

If PC World don't want to play ball:-

Its usually a good idea to get something in writing, so write them letters.

Also if you buy something for more than £100 and you've paid by credit card or through a credit agreement arranged by the seller, the credit company shares liability with the retailer.
So you can try to get your money back from the company that gave you credit.

I would imagine Pc World would let you exchange it though
Old 13-May-2007, 19:34
lord g

i will never deal with that scum company again if you have problems contact your local trading standards who will give you the correct advice also there is a cooling off period with credit as well good lookand also sales and goods act you have the law on your side wish people would never deal with any company in the dixon group should be called arthur daly plc how ever if you want gaming laptop i use a voodoo envy yes there expensive but you get everything built in and dont to have to buy bolt ons in the long run

Last edited by lord g; 13-May-2007 at 19:42.
Old 14-May-2007, 00:35
Screamager

i will never deal with that scum company again if you have problems contact your local trading standards who will give you the correct advice also there is a cooling off period with credit as well good lookand also sales and goods act you have the law on your side wish people would never deal with any company in the dixon group should be called arthur daly plc how ever if you want gaming laptop i use a voodoo envy yes there expensive but you get everything built in and dont to have to buy bolt ons in the long run
Originally Posted by lord g View Post
Computers designed for the latest games are always going to be expensive but I think this guy got sold an 'average performance' laptop at a high price coz they included lots of extras that he didn't need!

It depends where you live but if you phone your local trading standards, there's a chance you could end up talking to me
Old 14-May-2007, 13:09
lord g

good MANWHO your man of action and the consumers champion i jush hate seeing people getting ripped off iam just finnishibg my work about toucan broadband and then the techguys lol good on you WHOMANmanwho lol
Old 09-June-2008, 00:10
steph

SmileRe: consumer rights/pcworld sales person missold laptop

i had a similar situation with a pc i purchased from comet, again it was lack of knowlege from sales man, however although it took several trips and phone calls to the store, when i finally got to speak to the manager he agreed to up grade the pc to what i wanted at 50% of the difference.
go back to the store and explain what happened.
Old 10-June-2008, 00:02
moog

As they say it has to be fit for purpose, also when buying kit it is always a good idea to see it doing what you want it to do. PC World is staffed by no scruples monkeys, who only get 1% of the sale price, never bother to ask their opinion about anything unless your question is "how is life, living in the bottom of a barrel". I used to work for their support desk and people who went into currys to buy a microwave left the shop with a PC. They had no application for it and rarely had the brain power to know how to turn it on. PC World, Dixons, Currys do not employ technical people in their stores as policy this being as technical people would ask "and why do you think you need four modems for your PC?". This really happened to one guy, he kept going back to the store because he couldn't get his modem to work and they just sold him another. Thats the type of customer they expect to shop at their stores. The only good thing about PC World is that is around the corner and you can get them to price match with mail order companies http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/11114...instore-with-o
Old 19-June-2008, 10:28
NewDayNewID

PC World are fine if you need something urgently and don't mind paying a premium.

Otherwise, I would suggest buying online from Dabs, eBuyer or Scan, to name just three.

With regards to returns, you shouldn't have a problem provided you stick to your ground. I've bought pallet loads of PC World returns in the past and they never actually test them in store, judging by the amount of 100% working goods I've got from them. I don't even think they check serial numbers, so an old trick I heard was to buy a router off ebay, and the same one at PC World, then put the eBay router in the PC World box and take it back for a refund.

I would imagine with laptops they would actually check these details, but who knows?

Tags
broadband, comet, company, computer, credit, happy, laptop, law, line, mail, make, online, opinion, phone, port, product, router, shop, windows, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode