Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-August-2011, 13:43
Foxy Lady

QuestionKeyboard won't work until Windows starts, help!!

Please can someone help. My keyboard won't start working on my new PC until Windows starts. That means I can't access the BIOS settings or install a new OS as you need the keyboard to do so.
No-one seems to have the answer to this problem, all I keep getting is 'well it should work, just press the right key for the BIOS or maybe try another keyboard'. Yeah thanks guys but I've already tried that, plus anything else I can think of, even changing from a USB keyboard to a PS2 one!! Nothing works. Once Windows has started it's fine, just completely dead before then.
It worked fine on my old PC and the one before that. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 06-August-2011, 14:52
chrislane62

DefaultRe: Keyboard won't work until Windows starts, help!!

F2 no good?
Old 06-August-2011, 14:56
Foxy Lady

AngryRe: Keyboard won't work until Windows starts, help!!

Unfortunately nothing is any good as the keyboard won't fire up until Windows starts up, so it is unusable.
Old 06-August-2011, 21:29
Screamager

Have a read here Jen :

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ot-access-bios

and if you try their advice have a read here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18743...your_bios.html

be carefull though, if it is a bios problem it might be best to download update from manufacture's website.
Hope this helps

JT
Old 08-August-2011, 15:02

it should work, especially a ps2 one, my guess is the bios is set to 'fast boot' and quickly goes past the bit where you could stop it to access the bios,. there will be a way just finding the right keypress

what is the make / model of the PC?
Old 09-August-2011, 18:22
Foxy Lady

PostRe: Keyboard won't work until Windows starts, help!!

it should work, especially a ps2 one, my guess is the bios is set to 'fast boot' and quickly goes past the bit where you could stop it to access the bios,. there will be a way just finding the right keypress

what is the make / model of the PC?
Originally Posted by silver View Post
It doesn't matter what key I press, silver, the keyboard won't work until Windows starts, so none of the keys work at all with anything... no light comes on, nothing. When the PC boots up it comes up with all the stuff at the beginning to tell you what to press but it won't work because the keyboard won't work, it's just as if it isn't plugged in at all.
The PC was bought from Rab Computers, it hasn't got a make/model.

Thanks jacktar, will maybe try the BIOS update but not right now I think, as I had the sad news that my uncle passed away at the weekend and am not in the right frame of mind to concentrate on doing it right now. Appreciate the links, will tackle it as soon as I'm able.
Old 19-September-2011, 02:33
N1755L

It doesn't matter what key I press, silver, the keyboard won't work until Windows starts, so none of the keys work at all with anything... no light comes on, nothing. When the PC boots up it comes up with all the stuff at the beginning to tell you what to press but it won't work because the keyboard won't work, it's just as if it isn't plugged in at all.
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
What Silver's getting at Jen is to try a PS2 keyboard (likely you have a USB keyboard?).

Just a wee bit of info:

http://www.computing.net/answers/har...-ps2/7522.html

and a photo of the two connections (quickly scroll halfway down the page):

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/4...-not-want.html

Good luck.
Old 19-September-2011, 20:37
Foxy Lady

SmileRe: Keyboard won't work until Windows starts, help!!

Thanks for that info N1755L but if you look right at the start of my posts you will see that I have already tried both USB & PS2 keyboards. I have bought a new one of each, all to no avail. The PS2 didn't work any better than the USB one!!
I really don't know what's the matter with these new PC's, as I swapped the one I bought for another one (completely different supplier & PC) but still my keyboards won't work!
I have eventually bought another keyboard and finally it worked. So now I just have to use the new one (which I don't like at all) until I've loaded Windows & anything else I need & then swap back to my old faithful Compaq keyboard, which I absolutely luuuurrrrvvveee.
Thanks all for the help & suggestions, even if they didn't work, it's appreciated.
Old 20-September-2011, 23:43
N1755L

Sorry 'bout that Jen, totally missed the PS2 part.

Souds like the new PS2 keyboard you bought was defective, albeit new. Is it the USB one that works now on boot up for you?

Myself I use a USB keyboard, but I also have a PS2 keyboard connected to my computer at all times (it just sits tucked away beside the computer), just in case, sometimes I'll boot to DOS from a CD or, very rarely, from the floppy. In any case, if ever I cannot get my keyboard to respond on boot, I always have the PS2 on standby.

If you had a working PS2 keyboard, you could have your Compaq keyboard connected at all times (which I assume is USB), and the PS2 keyboard always connected as well in case you needed BIOS access. Then you wouldn't need to do any swapping.

Richard
Old 07-October-2011, 07:24
BEITCERTIFIED

I think there is a problem with keyboard socket.
You should use Ps2 Keyboard.

Tags
computer, connection, dead, key, laptop, make, settings, windows

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeSwitch to Linear Mode
Hybrid ModeHybrid Mode